Saturday 22 June 2013

Saturday 22-6-13

Morning. A nice couple of winners yesterday. One in the advised bets, and a couple at Ascot. Sky Lantern certainly paid for my dinner, but my stance on Leading Light most likely paid for a few others'. Unbelievably I have no advised bets today, but still plenty of races to look at. I'll start with Royal Ascot then do the others.

ROYAL ASCOT

230 CHESHAM STAKES

A listed race over 7f for the 2yo. The one I like here is MASTER CARPENTER. Beat a fancied one on debut and then didn't really run his race on second start, potentially outpaced, stepped up in trip and came on nicely with a suggestion that further will suit. The obvious danger is Somewhat who may well have scope to progress further than the selection but I just think that the selection is overpriced on the account that he doesn't come from a fashionable yard. I've had a little each way on the Street Cry filly too, obviously.

305 HARDWICKE STAKES

Noble Mission will be popular as Frankel's brother, but I think the ground will be to quick for him, the more rain today the better. If the rain does come and the clerk moves the official going then I'd be tempted to play for a place. I'm going with the in form Stoute/Moore team and SIR JOHN HAWKWOOD. This is a real step up for him, but he can't really go on longer in handicaps so why not a crack here. Obviously there is proven Group 2 form in here with Aiken, Thomas Chippendale and Universal all having scratched one up in the past.

345 DIAMOND JUBILEE STAKES

Sadly no Black Caviar here today. My antepost play for this has been GORDON LORD BYRON and I don't feel like deserting now. Was clear on the wrong side in the Duke of York but seems to be with the main protagonists today. A group 1 winner last year and like Society Rock doesn't have to give away weight today like they did at York.

425 WOKINGHAM STAKES

I've picked out 2 from 1 side, and 1 from the other. So hopefully I'll have at least one go close. I'll start with my main one. MORACHE MUSIC. Now, this horse doesn't seem to like winning, so that'll probably put you off. But....he does put himself there or thereabouts on a number of occasions, including in this last year when he ran 4th off 2lb higher. Then over the other side I have the consistent old boy HITCHENS. This horse will love to rattle along on the fast ground, he is piloted by a master in this sort of event in Johnny Murtagh. And then POOLE HARBOUR, who given his yard has often gone off a decent price. Occasionally seems to  hit the front too soon perhaps? He's been unlucky a number of occasions. They thought a bit of him early on but he's really kicked on this year. William Twiston Davies takes a useful 5lb off and if he's on the right side could well be a player.

500 DUKE OF EDINBURGH HANDICAP

This is a close one for me, I have 4 very closely matched on my system. I've backed them all because I'd be sick if one i left off won. I'll tell you why and you can make your own mind up. OPINION, 3rd in a pretty decent handicap at HQ on May 5th. I wouldn't be at all worried that Ryan Moore is on the other one because Richard Hughes pretty much is Highclere's first choice if he's available. He's won at this level over 10f, arguably has the trip to find at 12 but excuses on first attempt and was decent effort last time. Should be involved. STENCIVE was some way behind opinion that day but was sent off the favourite. It was his first run of the season and he was eased down to finish which was soon after explained as a small problem. If that small problem has been ironed out then again, a solid chance. CARAVAN ROLLS ON. It's interesting they've dropped this one back in trip. Sure last time he didn't offer much when Jamie pressed the button and he is proven over this trip, at this track as well. I expect if things had gone to plan this year they'd have liked to be in the earlier Hardwicke, should go well. BLUE SURF. I like this horse and I give him place claims. Like Opinion solid at 10 and suggestions he'll do it at 12 without the substance. Will need to run to his best here but surely that's the plan for all these horses to run their best at this meeting?

535 QUEEN ALEXANDRA STAKES

I'm playing 1 here. COURTESY CALL, for Nicky Henderson. Not content with dominating Cheltenham and Aintree, he's decided to take on Royal Ascot too, and to success, he had a winner yesterday and a real live chance today. Been performing reasonably over jumps, this horse has solid flat form too with a second in  the Cesarewich trial on his last start. He'll need to be better than that to win this but certainly an interesting entrant. Ground will suit also.


Now quickly the best races elsewhere.

300 AYR - LISTED RACE FOR FILLIES
I like James Tate's EL MANATI. The return to better ground should suit as should the return to 5f.

335 AYR - CLASS 2 HANDICAP
COUNTRY WESTERN. Ran well last time out and finished close enough to suggest that with today's jockey claim could well have won and would therefore be rated higher by the handicapper.

400 DOWNROYAL - ULSTER DERBY
I'm siding with the British raider. Mark Johnston's SCATTER DICE. His form stands up to the Irish form in my eyes and has a big chance. MJ doesn't send them over because he likes White Pudding on his breakfast.

405 NEWMARKET - AGRIBANK HANDICAP (CLASS 2)
The best race on the card at the July Course today. I'm siding with DOMINATE. Been beaten in better class recently but looks a fair mark back in handicap company and posted best figures on better ground so should have a squeak.

415 AYR - CLASS 2 HANDICAP
I'm taking a bit of a gamble here as STRICTLY SILVER has the best form but it's on the All Weather. If he can translate that to the turf then he should win and at the price I'm happy to let him try.

435 DOWNROYAL - ULSTER OAKS
SALHOODA gets her first look at a handicap here, albeit a prestigious one. She had no luck in running when over at Chester and as a result of that struggled to get home, but last time out over 9f she looked better the further they went. Provided the mark is okay she has the class to take this and the extra furlong (still 1 shorter than Chester) shouldn't do much harm.

Good Luck and Happy Punting

No comments:

Post a Comment