Monday 18 June 2012

Royal Ascot Day 1 - Tuesday

My tips will appear day as usual but I'm just having a look at each race in advance.

230 QUEEN ANNE STAKES

FRANKEL will be only the second winning favourite of this race. The big guns will be out looking for the place money, EXCELEBRATION looks likely to come second again, but then there should be some value for third place. Plenty of Group winners in behind, I'd suggest maybe Godolphin's HELMET who was a group1 winner in Australia. But mostly just sit back and enjoy FRANKEL, he is an animal to be proud of.

305 KING'S STAND STAKES

The Market hasn't been far off recently in this race, despite it being such a large betting event. Given the record of Australian runners in the race, ORTENSIA has to make huge appeal, and if you want a huge price chance of a place, drawn right next to him is STEPPER POINT, who on last start finished second to WIZZ KID in Group 2 company in France. SP is 50/1, WK is 6/1, Can you spot the value? TANGERINE TREES is another big price, a Group 1 winner at the distance and drawn next door to one of the big favourites, BATED BREATH. I can't write off SOLE POWER, but all my other fancies are drawn the other side, although he could get a lead off front running MASAMAH. I'll make my pick tomorrow, but it's likely to be ORTENSIA.

345 ST JAMES'S PALACE STAKES

The favourite has won the last 4 renewals of this, an Irish Guineas run has proven a good build up, and Aidan O'Brien has a great record in the race. All points to POWER. He is a favourite of mine, I was disappointed by his Newmarket run but he paid me back by winning the Irish Guineas. French Guineas winner LUCAYAN is an interesting entry, also i'm intrigued that William Buick chooses tor ride THE NILE over more fancied stablemate FENCING. But hopefully I'll e singing along to Snap tomorrow.

425 COVENTRY STAKES

The Last 10 winners all won last time out, that wipes out about half of a tricky looking field. One interesting stat though is that no horse has won this with a run within 3 weeks prior, that actually wipes out the favourite DAWN APPROACH, but anyone worth their salt knows that if Jim Bolger send's one over, he thinks it has a chance. The Hannon first string SIR PRANCELOT has also had a run within the last 3 weeks. ENGLISHMAN for the Hill's team and LINES OF BATTLE for Aidan O'Brien both have solid form from their maiden wins. But I think DAWN APPROACH should be good enough. He's won 3 races pretty comfortably, if not him then LINES OF BATTLE for me. LOB form looks better than stablemate CRISTOFORO COLUMBO and Ryan Moore certainly knows where the winning line is, incidently he rode Power to win this last year. An outside chance could be Kevin Ryan's INDIAN JADE, unbeaten in 2, and upset a very hot fancy last time out.

500 ASCOT STAKES HANDICAP

This will be one I look at more tomorrow, just glancing my eyes over I like COSIMO DE MEDICI, It's generally profitable to follow Hughie Morrison at Royal Ascot, also the elephant AL KHAWANEEJ, this horse is huge, if he turns out with the ability to jump a fence he'll probably be pretty good.

535 WINDSOR CASTLE STAKES

A very tough race to call, another that I'll be looking at in more appeal later and making my final bet on the day. I can't really see one that jumps off the page at me, 1 or 2 that should get black-type this year perhaps. 3 that I quite like are drawn together in the high numbers, I think that might be the wrong side, I'm not 100% sure, but they are DYLANBARU, HOTOTO and TOMMY'S SECRET, in smaller numbers LYRIC ACE, BUNGLE IN THE JUNGLE and ALHEBAYEB. Final decision to be made tomorrow.

Day 2 will follow so keep your eyes peeled. Hopefully all 6 Day 1 winners appear on this blog. Pigs...Fly... etc... Be Lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment