Thursday 16 June 2011

Thursday 16th June - Royal Ascot Day 3 - Gold Cup Day

Yesterday was almost a disaster for the black type selections in the blog, but for Thirteen Shivers preventing a blank late last night at Ripon! I'd implore you to read between the lines as I picked Rewilding as the main threat to So You Think and also declared my admiration for Lolly for Dolly, plus gave an each way for Dance and Dance. Some tricky races today but I have admiration for a few going today and will try to keep it simple. The "non-obvious" draw bias that has seen all the winners on the straight course come from the high numbers, bar the Dascombe 2yo late yesterday evening, may be levelled out today with the rain and we may well see a shift to the low numbers to be sure I'll try to find a couple from each side in the monster handicap later.

230 The Norfolk Stakes - Bapak Chinta obviously merits respect from winning the maiden that produced Frederik Engels. Right next door to him is my Each Way play Pyman's Theory from Micheal Owen and Tom Dascombe's yard. Been progressive and gave evidence towards wretched luck in York's Shirocco Stakes when impressively landing a listed event at Sandown, beating the hatrick seeking Bannock in the process. Unsure of the draw as evidence points the other side and that is why this is my Each Way play. My main selection is for EVERYDAY DAVE I figure if I keep backing the American sprinters, 1 of them will come good. This one put away a decent field at Chantilly in preparation for this and looks primed and ready. Has a lot of pace, which could be hampered by the rain if it keeps falling, and on evidence is drawn well.

305 A tricky looking Ribblesdale. Banimpire is a true favourite having landed a group 3 over the trip as recently as Sunday, but there isn't a lot of evidence as to how good that field was as yet. My selection is going to be for RUMH. I backed her when comfortably winning at Newbury last time out. She looks a lot better at 3 than at 2 and seems to be progressing well. Given the manner of victory last time the trip shouldn't be a problem at all. For an each way play I'm going to side with Dorcas Lane, a comfortable winner of the pretty polly, form has been franked by the 3rd that day landing 3rd in the Oaks. Could give the top 2 in the betting a real scare today and 8/1 looks like value to me.

345 An interesting Gold Cup as the leading fancies all have to prove their stamina. Fame and Glory, although a fantastic horse, is far too short a price for me to trust that he will stay. Duncan also a good horse and won well last time out but held on for that over 1m6 and this is a full 6 furlongs further. Holberg looked one paced when chasing BLUE BAJAN over 2m last time out at Sandown. So of the ones with a bit to prove I have to side with the selection. Finished like an express train on lst 2 efforts and suggests he will go further. I'll take 2 each ways in this, firstly Opinion Poll for Mahmood Al Zarooni. The trainer suggests that he has been preparing the horse for this and a big run in Dubai suggested he may want further. Also Chester Cup runner up Tastahil has the proven stamina and was caught out by the pace of the race on that day. The ground will be slower here and so will the race as a quick pace would not suit the big names.

425 The Brittania Stakes. Aaargh! Someone tweeted this morning "there are 28 that can win this". That shows the intensity of the task, but at 8/1 the field and some bookies paying 5 places there is value to find. It might be worth waiting until about 235 to chance your arm for this as we can see where the quicker ground is. 2 in the middle-ish that I'm looking at are EKTIBAAS and Cai Shen. The former effectively came 2nd within a legth to the impressive Dubai Queen last time out. You can ignore the winner as he ran a race of his own under a Mickael Barzalona masterclass. I was hugely impressed with the turn of foot shown by the latter 3 starts ago. While the 2 favourites where looking at each other he attacked and was away. The drop back in trip should suit and an each way player. Both are partnered by jockeys experienced enough to go the right way at the break. 1 in the high numbers I like is Kuala Limper. Seems to have a good attitude and keeps up to work even when job done and that is essential in these massive handicaps. 1 down the bottom i like is Honey of a kitten. Entitled to come on for the last run, off a break and very soft ground. This will suit better and a big chance.

500 Tough one for me this as I backed both TAZAHUM and Alkimos when they won last time out. I'm going to go with the selection because I feel he has the better form in the book. The only horse to beat him is Dual guineas runner up Dubawi Gold. Midsummer Sun merits some each way money having looked much better when winning than first time out, and a similar progression could see him a big player here.

535 I was very impressed with the way BROWN PANTHER was pushed out to win last time out, I can't see this trip being a problem and at 7/1 is worth a few of my pounds. For each ways I'm playing Charles Camoin who was a notebook winner at the Epsom meeting staying on home to get up on the line, and Eternal Heart for Mark Johnston who has proven stamina and chasing a four timer. Malthouse has form but found a couple too good at Epsom last time but I couldn't write him of under a terrific jockey from a decent draw.

I will also be backing Fighting Brave 735 Leopardstown and Tartan Gunna 400 Ripon.

Hope evryone has a good day, Happy punting and good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment